Eligibility and Selection for following Institutes
Candidates with Master's Degree or equivalent in any branch of science (Physics, Chemistry, Life Sciences, Microbiology, Botany, Zoology, Physiology, Biochemistry, Biophysics,Bioinformatics, Biotechnology, Pharmacy) or in chemical/biochemical engineering and have qualified for obtaining research fellowship after passing CSIR/UGC NET or DBT JRF examination (‘A’ Category) or DST INSPIRE Fellowship or ICMR JRF examination are eligible to be interviewed. Please note that valid proofs of having passed the masters’ level and fellowship examinations (with valid fellowship) are mandatory for being eligible to be interviewed.
- The candidates who have passed M.Sc. and cleared any of the following examination (with valid fellowship) are eligible to attend the interview.
- CSIR-UGC NET (NET-LS not eligible)
- DBT-JRF examination (‘A’ Category only)
- DST INSPIRE Fellowship
- ICMR-JRF examination (those selected for working only in ICMR Projects are not eligible).
#1:Centre for DNA Fingerprinting and Diagnostics
The CDFD (Centre for DNA Fingerprinting and Diagnostics) Hyderabad, is a premier institute in the country, which provides services in DNA Fingerprinting and Diagnostics and conducts basic research in the frontier areas of modern biology. The current research themes include:Computational and structural biology, genetics and epigenetics, silkmoth genomics, molecular pathogenesis, cancer and stem cell biology, cell signalling, and molecular and cellular biology(The details are listed on our website www.cdfd.org.in).
- We invite applications from highly motivated candidates, willing to take up challenges in modern biology, for admissions to our Research Scholars program. Keeping in view the interdisciplinary nature of modern biology, we especially encourage persons from diverse backgrounds to apply. Those admitted as Research Scholars would be encouraged to apply for the Ph.D. program of Manipal University or University of Hyderabad.
The Centre for DNA Fingerprinting and Diagnostics
#2:Centre for Cellular and Molecular Biology
Centre for Cellular and Molecular Biology, Hyderabad, invites applications from candidates who are bonafide Indian citizens, to pursue research in modern biology leading to a Ph. D. Degree. The projects offered for Ph.D. would be in the broad areas of Cell Biology, Molecular Biology, Genetics, Genomics, Developmental Biology, Nanobiology, Plant Molecular Biology, Conservation Biology, Ecology, Protein Structure and Function, Biology of Macromolecules, Biology of Infection, Epigenetics, Chromatin Biology and Bioinformatics.
#3:CSIR-Indian Institute of Chemical Technology
Biology division is actively involved in multi disciplinary activities of advanced research areas like Integrated Vector Management (IVM), Bioinformatics, toxicity studies, kairamones for pest management. Disease modeling of vector borne diseases like Filariasis, Malaria, Japanese encephalitis, Dengue to minimize the outbreak is developed by this division which is a pioneering area in Public Health.
#4:National Institute of Animal Biotechnology
NIAB is aimed to harness novel and emerging biotechnologies and take up research in the cutting edge areas for improving animal health and productivity. The Institute's focus of research will be on Animal Genetics and Genomics, Transgenic Technology, Reproductive Biotechnology, Infectious Diseases, Bioinformatics and Nutrition Enrichment. The institute aims at translational research leading to the development of novel vaccines, diagnostics and improved therapeutic molecules for farm animals. The Institute plans to promote bio entrepreneurship by providing support environment for commercial tenants involved in the development of farm animal based products.
IIT Hyderabad is part of history in the making. We, the faculty, students and staff are creating a new institute, an institute, which in due course of time will make an indelible mark in education and research. Though we are young, we have a great vision, agility, commitment and energy to create an innovative education and research environment that will be the envy of all.
Research Areas:Structural Biology Dr. Rajakumara Eerappa Click Here to View Profile
About IIT Hyderabad
Center for Computational Natural Sciences and Bioinformatics (CCNSB)Ever increasing computational power and recent advances in computer science, in fields of distributed computing, networking and database management, have inspired the center to explore the application of these newer technologies and methods to understand the functioning of complex physical, chemical and biological systems.
- The center has 12 faculty (8 full time and 4 adjunct faculty), about 25 research students and about 50 undergraduate students associated with it.
IIIT Hyderabad Campus
#7:The Division of Biological Sciences @ Indian Institute of Science Bangalore
The Division of Biological Sciences at the Institute is engaged in frontline research at the frontiers of modern biology. It encompasses three major departments,four smaller Centres and three facilities and has on its rolls more than fifty faculty members and about 300 research scholars and post doctoral fellows. The scientists in the Division deal with almost all aspects of modern biology: molecular biology,structural biology, immunology, enzymology,reproductive and developmental biology,ecological and environmental studies and so on. The methods employed in these investigations include genetic engineering, immunological techniques, PCR, spectroscopy, X-ray Crystallography, electron-microscopy, bioinformatics and computer modeling.
Indian Institute of Science
#8:The Institute of Bioinformatics
The Institute of Bioinformatics is a not-for-profit organization engaged in research in Bioinformatics. This institute is located in Bangalore, India and was established in May 2002. Bangalore is a prime center for research and development and is the hub of information technology in India. The Institute of Bioinformatics emphasizes cutting edge research in Databases, Computational Genomics, Proteomics and Comparative Genomics. The initial goal of this Institute was to create a freely available Human Protein Reference Database using open source technologies and to experimentally verify predicted human genes using molecular biology and proteomics-based methods.
Institute of Bioinformatics featured on Rajyasabha TV
#9:Institute for Stem Cell Biology and Regenerative Medicine
Our research programs cover a wide range of disciplines (New inStem Website - Faculty), including Biochemistry, Bioinformatics, including Biochemistry, Bioinformatics, Biophysics, Chemical Biology, Cell Biology, Developmental Biology, Evolutionary Biology, Ecology and Neuroscience.
- The PhD program at inStem accepts candidates with a Masters in any Basic Science discipline or a basic degree in any applied science such as Medicine, Engineering, Pharmacy and Veterinary Science. Candidates are invited to apply in response to advertisements issued by the Tata Institute of Fundamental Research, Mumbai appearing nationally in the last week of August/first week of September every year. All applicants are required to take a written test conducted in December. Candidates who have qualified the CSIR/ICMR/Gate exam are also required to apply for this entrance test for admission to the PhD program at inStem.
#10:NATIONAL CHEMICAL LABORATORY
PhD Program in Engineering : Computational Biology and Bio Engineering :Eligibility requirements are identical to the PhD program in science, i.e. a four-year bachelor’s degree, or a Masters degree in science or technology in a relevant branch of science or engineering AND a valid national-level fellowship tenable at NCL.
- Candidates without any valid research fellowship as mentioned above or those who have qualified only the CSIR/UGC lectureship (LS) category or GATE or any other national level test without any fellowship are not eligible to apply for PhD programme in Science. Such applications will not be considered.
CSIR- National Chemical Laboratory, Pune, India
#11:Ph.D Program @ National Centre for Cell Science
National Centre for Cell Science is recognised by University of Pune, Pune, Devi Ahilya VishwaVidyalaya, Indore, Punjab University, Chandigarh and Manipal Academy of higher Education, Manipal as a center for higher learning and for the award of Ph. D. degree. NCCS recruits candidates with ICMR, CSIR and UGC Junior Research Fellowships for pursuing their Ph.D. The recruitments are normally done twice in a year, after the results of CSIR – UGC NET are declared. The advertisement for this appears on the web site and the selections are done after the oral interview. Details about positions available in various extra mural funded projects are also displayed on web site. At present 75 Research Scholars are working for their Ph. D. in various laboratories of NCCS.
Bioinformatics and High Performance Computing facility
- The bioinformatics facility at NCCS provides access to high-performance compute resources and programming expertise. The compute infrastructure serves scientists at NCCS to master the informatics needs of their research in a proficient and cost-effective manner.
#12:Ph.D. Programme @ IISER Pune
IISER Pune admits students to doctoral programme in Biology, Chemistry, Earth and Climate Sciences, Physics and Inter-disciplinaryareas of research. Students with a Master’s degree in Science, Engineering, Math or a Bachelor’s degree in Engineering/Medicine with at least 60% marks (aggregate) are encouraged to apply to our Ph.D. programme. In addition to the qualifying degree, we expect the students to have qualified a national examination such as CSIR-UGC NET/GATE/JEST/NBHM/JGEEBILS, etc. depending on their area of research interest. We accept only online applications which will be available after a formal advertisement. All communications will be only through email and no individual letters will be posted to any candidates. Students will be selected to the Ph.D. programme based on performance in the interviews. Complete details about eligibility and qualifications for each discipline will be displayed on the page at the time when applications are invited.
The ICGEB extension laboratory, covering an area of over 3,720 square metres, has been created to decongest the workspace in the existing building. All of the Groups working on malaria, tuberculosis and bioinformatics have shifted to the new wing. The new Group, Synthetic Biology and Biofuel, is also placed here.
- ICGEB offers competitive Pre-doctoral Fellowships in Life Sciences to highly motivated scientists wishing to pursue PhD research studies in a world-class scientific environment. Fellowships include participation in a competitive research programme, access to state-of-the-art facilities, participation in ICGEB Meetings, Seminars and Journal Clubs and a competitive stipend, plus full coverage of tuition fees and health insurance.
International Centre for Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology (ICGEB)
#14:Institute of Genomics & Integrative Biology
CSIR-Institute of Genomics & Integrative Biology (IGIB) is a premier Institute of Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR), engaged in research of national importance in the areas of genomics, molecular medicine, bioinformatics, proteomics and environmental biotechnology.
#15:Ph.D. Programme @ National Institute of Plant Genome Research
National Institute of Plant Genome Research, is an Autonomous Research Institution, funded by Department of Biotechnology, Government of India, and conducts basic and applied research in the frontier areas of plant biology. The Institute invites applications from candidates who have completed or will be completing M. Sc. or equivalent degree (by August 31, 2015) in Life Sciences and/or in related disciplines with minimum 55% marks, and have cleared the CSIR-UGC NET exam / DBT-JRF (selected through BET/BINC) / ICMR NET exam for JRF (with a valid Junior Research Fellowship as on September 1, 2015), for conducting advanced researches in the frontier areas of Plant Biology such as, Computational Biology, Genome Analysis and Molecular Mapping, Molecular Mechanism of Abiotic Stress Responses, Nutritional Genomics, Plant Development and Architecture, Plant Immunity, Transgenics for Crop improvement, Molecular Breeding and other emerging areas based on plant genomics . Reservations are as per statutory norms. The selection will be made on the basis of interview only.
- The Distributed Information Sub Centre (DISC) at NIPGR has been set up by the Department of Biotechnology under the Biotechnology Information System Network (BTISnet) program. BTISnet is a major distributed bioinformatics network spread across the country. The network has been geared up to undertake advanced research in frontier areas of biotechnology with the intensive application of bioinformatics. The network also aims to develop human resource in bioinformatics, and establish effective academia-industry interface, in order to create world class platforms for technology development, transfer and commercialization.
#16:Ph.D @ ACTREC
ACTREC offers the Ph.D. degree in the Life Sciences from the Homi Bhabha National Institute (HBNI), a deemed University established by the Department of Atomic Energy.The Ph.D. students at ACTREC undertake basic and translational research in Cancer Biology. Specific research topics include study of cell proliferation, differentiation, apoptosis, metastasis, tumor immunology, molecular imaging, carcinogenesis, stem cell biology, biophysics, structural biology, bioinformatics, proteomics, genomics, genetics, epigenetics and glycobiology.
#17:National Institute of Virology
BIOINFORMATICS AND DATA MANAGEMENT
About the divisionThe group carries out various research projects in the areas of Sequence and structural Bioinformatics. It also functions as a core facility in the area of Bioinformatics, Statistical analysis and IT, internet and LAN management. These 3 main areas are described below:
BioinformaticsStudies in the area of genomic data analysis and molecular modeling of various viral proteins in collaboration with the experimental labs in the institute form the core activities. Sequence based approaches including phylogenetic analysis, recombination detection, selection pressure and molecular clock studies are applied for understanding viral molecular evolution. Protein structural modeling studies are used to understand the role of virulent markers, predict conformational epitopes etc. and docking studies are applied for understanding antigen-antibody interactions and drug resistance.
#18:Rajiv Gandhi Centre for Biotechnology
All general category candidates should have a minimum of 60% marks (OGPA - 6.0) and SC/ST candidates should have a minimum of 50% marks (OGPA-5.0) for their postgraduate degree. Candidates awaiting final postgraduate examination results are also eligible to apply, but should produce a valid certificate confirming passing the exams with the prescribed mark aggregate at the time of interview. All applicants should have a valid Research Fellowship from UGC/CSIR/ICMR/DBT/KSCSTE at the time of seeking admission to the RGCB PhD program. DST-INSPIRE fellowship awardees must have a valid certificate to be shortlisted.
Computational Biology & Bioinformatics
#19:Jawaharlal Nehru University
Centre for Computational Biology and BioinformaticsIn addition to Direct PhD and Pre-PhD SCIS is offering from academic year 2015 ,an integrated M.Sc.-Ph.D. degree in Computational and Integrative Sciences with a specialization in either Computational Biology or Complex Systems. The Computational Biology stream will have equivalence to the M.Sc. in Bioinformatics, while the Complex Systems stream will have equivalence to the M.Sc. in Physical Sciences. Additionally, SCIS also offers admission to its Pre-Ph.D. and Direct Ph.D. Programmes in Computational Biology and Bioinformatics. The School has encouraged intake from multiple disciplines into these Programmes - Information Technology, Engineering Sciences, Bioinformatics, the Life Sciences/Biotechnology, the Physical and Chemical Sciences, among others.
#20:Central Drug Research Institute
Eligibility:January Semester: M.Sc./M.Tech/M.Pharm./M.S. in Life sciences/Biotechnology/Pharmaceutical Sciences (Medicinal chemistry/pharmaceutics/pharmacology/ pharmaco-toxicology/bioinformatics)/Organic or Analytical Chemistry/M.B.B.S. and qualified in CSIR-UGC-NET, ICMR, DBT examinations for Junior Research Fellowship.
- Research activities of CDRI are aimed at developing drugs, diagnostics and vaccines to cure and get rid of the ailments confronted by the mankind in general and indians in particular. With an aim to carry out focussed works in various disease areas, the R & D activities of CDRI have been categorised in various research areas. Each Research Area focusses on the design and development of drugs, diagnostics/vaccines related to the concerned disease group right from the synthesis of compounds upto regulatory studies and clinical trials. Scientists and technical manpower attached to a particular project area work in cohesion as per the guidelines adopted by each project coordination group, even though they are administratively attched to their individual divisions
#21:Indian Institute of Toxicology Research
CSIR-IITR welcomes bright, innovative and dedicated researcher(s) to undertake challenging R&D programme(s) in niche areas of toxicology under Quick Hire Programme which is open throughout the year.Interested candidate(s) is/are requested to send his/her/their CV along with three references to the Director of the institute (email@example.com) and is/are welcome to visit the institute to deliver lecture and to interact with the R&D staff.
- CSIR-IITR has established the computational docking and mole-cular dynamics simulation facilities. Acce-lrys Discovery Studio software was procured in this financial year with two of its modules, namely, DS Academic Base and DS Academic Standard Ligand Design. The tools available in the base module are capable of sequence and 3D structure characteri-zation, visualization, analysis, PERL scripting, charting, and modeling of molecular systems. The Ligand Design module includes DS ADMET, Topkat, Denovo Ligand Builder, QSAR Bundle (incl GFA), Library Design, VAMP Descriptors, DMOL3 Descriptors & NNet. These modules are frequently being used by CSIR-IITR researchers.
#22:Central Institute of Medicinal and Aromatic Plants
Bioinformatics and in silico biology: In silico genomics and proteomics, molecular dynamics studies, identification of miRNA and their targets, gene expression analysis, DNA barcoding.CIMAP is a unique lab of its kind in the entire globe, way ahead of its time even at the time of its establishment. As a ripple effect of CIMAP’s success and contribution, other research establishments have now started seriously considering MAPs in their portfolio. While conserving the plant genetic resources systematically and undertaking world class research work in plant science, CIMAP is equipping the nation with high-tech agriculture linked to industrial processing of MAPs.
- CIMAP is equipped with state-of-the-art multidisciplinary laboratories, ultra-modern instrumentation facilities and scientific expertise in agriculture, genetics and plant breeding, molecular taxonomy, molecular and structural biology, plant biotechnology, biochemistry, microbiology, bio energy and chemical sciences, apart from development of herbal products. CIMAP, Lucknow houses the National Gene Bank of medicinal and aromatic plants, in addition to seed gene bank, tissue and DNA bank. Further, Field Gene Bank of different varieties of MAPs is maintained at CIMAP Lucknow and its four research centres situated across the country.
#23:Institute of Microbial Technology, Chandigarh
IMTECH is a multidisciplinary institute with excellent research facilities, state of the art computational and library facilities, and faculty with interests in many different areas of modern biology and biotechnology (please visit our website http://www.imtech.res.in for information on different areas and faculty activities).
- The Bioinformatics Centre (BIC) at the Institute of Microbial Technology, Chandigarh was established in 1987. This is the one of nine centres created under the programme Biotechnology Information Systems (BTIS) by department of biotechnology (DBT), Govt. of India.
- This centre is actively involved in developing software packages in different field of biosciences. Number of software packages have been developed which are available to public. BIC has also developed number of general purpose computer programs. BIC has several number of software and numerous databases which is required in field of protein engineering and modelling.
#24:Institute of Himalayan Bioresource Technology
"Studio of Computational Biology & Bioinformatics" became functional in January 2010 and was properly established with lab area and infrastructure on June 17, 2010, under the Biotech Division. The objective of studio is to make IHBT self sufficient for Bioinformatics related projects, participate in the various ongoing projects where Bioinformatics expertise is required and take novel initiatives. The studio aims to develop new algorithms, Bioinformatics softwares, servers and dynamic databases and deliver high quality research in the field.
The Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) programme at IISER Kolkata is an introduction to cutting-edge research. In both theoretical as well as experimental subjects IISER Kolkata strives to provide world-class training. The Institute offers Doctorate degree in the fields of Biological, Chemical, Mathematical, Physical and Earth Sciences. Individual Department selects deserving candidates from the pool of applicants based on their academic backgrounds, research interests and their performance in the selection test (often an interview). The selection is conducted twice a year (advertisement goes public tentatively in the months of March and September). The applicants who has their own fellowships (such as, UGC/CSIR-NET, INSPIRE etc) may apply at any time of the year. The Institute reserves the provision of offering rolling admission to these candidates. The candidates who do not have their own fellowship must apply through the bi-annual selection process.
#26: Indian Institute of Technology Bombay
Research Areas: Enzyme kinetics and enzyme secretion, microbial metabolism and regulation, aromatic hydrocarbon metabolism and genetic engineering, enzyme inhibitor design, peptide synthesis; protein structure, function and engineering; yeast molecular biology, transcriptional regulation of gene expression; microtubule dynamics and cancer chemotherapy, immunology, signal transduction, Glycobiology; molecular and membrane biochemistry: proteomics and systems biology, bacterial cell division, protein aggregation and neurodegenerative diseases, computational biology of nucleosome dynamics, Chromatin assembly and statistical dynamics, cytoskeletal dynamics, chromosome segregation during mitosis and meiosis in yeast. Regulation of gene expression in the malaria parasite, bioinformatics of parasite genomes, Autoimmunity, Cancer Immunotherapy, Tissue Resident T Cells, Cancer Biomarker